Monday, March 15, 2010

Up

MUST-SEE: (Pete Docter and Bob Peterson) I hope that by the time I am finally getting this post up, most--if not all--of you will have seen it. If not, stop everything and give yourself over to this feel-good flick. Up is the story of 78-year old Carl Fredricksen and his journey via balloons to Paradise Falls, South America. A life-long dream to visit, in his old-age it seems easiest to pick up his entire house and literally relocate. Unfortunately, plans don't stay easy. Russell, a young and curious boy scout (A Wilderness Explorer on the search for his "assisting the elderly" badge) was on his door step when the house took air, bringing unwanted company along for the ride. From here, its a hopeful tale of love, life lessons and self-discovery. It reminds us to stay in the moment, grabbing life by the horns when it lets us, making the most of every day. It also reiterates that love comes in many forms. It's not always about your favorite hobby, or your soul mate, but everything else as well--from friendships to accomplices to general company and unconditional loyalty. It's an escape from reality that brings your ego back down to earth. Anyone will appreciate the humor and everyone can relate to the life-love motif. And you don't have to take my word for it (quote borrowed from LeVar Burton), Up was nominated for several Oscars--not just the animation category. It lives up to its nods and is deserving of its win. Make sure to add this one to your list immediately!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh Yen...a must see?? I'm shocked. Okay, this may come as a surprise, but this one was a flop for me. I know, I know...I'm usually all about the feel good love-life motif, but for some reason this one just didn't have what I was hoping. I loved the creative animation and interesting plot, but not enough action to keep my attention. And it was a little redundant. Maybe it was the big talk-up by so many, but I am going to give it a personal rating of "Is that it?"

Love you. :)
Leen

Ann-Marie Pouns said...

Leen! Oh, I am so upset you didn't enjoy Up! It was everything that I was hoping for and more! It completely surpassed my expectations in so many different categories - creativity, humor, music, plot. I LOVED the story line and the relationship built between Russel and Mr. Fredricksen. The undying love that Mr. Fredricksen displayed for his wife was beautiful and relayed his true feelings to the audience. The lack of dialogue was an unexpected delight as you watched the story unfold.